Tuesday, August 15, 2017

happy independence day

Hey guys,
so this is an actual post because today is the independence day of India. 

As you all may know or may not know India was under the rule of the British Empire for more than 200 years. On 15th of August 1947, exactly 70 years back, the parliament of the United Kingdom decided to give India it´s independence. Of course the aftermath of the British regiment still has a
big influence on how India works and functions. That is also why English is the 2nd official language next to Hindi.

To come back to the present I would like to share my day with you. 
In the morning I woke up at 5 as usual, took my bag (luckily only with a water bottle) and rode to school on the regular bus. In school the first thing we did was give our attendance and then go out to the sports grounds to hiss the Indian flag. After that the functions were held. These functions included dance shows, an inter-house competition*, instrumental appearances and award ceremonies.

I took part in both the inter-house competition for my house (red house-Mighty Marx) and in the instrumental part. I played the Tabla, a traditional Indian drum (well actually the´re 2 - one bigger one and a smaller one). 
Although we lost the competition by claiming 4th place the principal even namely mentioned me by saying how well I had played this instrument because I have only been learning it for about 4 weeks.

Later there was the award ceremony for the board toppers of the session 2016-17.

At around 10:45am the disposal bell rang and we could leave the school. Every student was allowed to pick up a little box with traditional (far too sweet for my taste) Indian sweets. 

As the day isn´t over yet I don´t know what I´ll be doing still but I definitely want to go to the market to buy an Indian flag!

No comments:

Post a Comment